Through the power of the Holy Spirit, this “Habit” continues to transform me more than anything I have ever done as a Christian.
The other day I was on a call with a client and he asked me about my scripture memory habit: what exactly do you do, why do you do it, how does it work for you?
I described it to him and he strongly encouraged me to write a post on it; so, here it is.
There are, of course, good habits and bad habits. One of the keys in victorious living is, by God’s grace, to learn how to break bad habits and form good ones.
Regular scripture memory is a good “Habit” that you can begin developing and practicing which will pay incredible dividends in your life and ministry for Jesus.
Consistently memorize one or two verses a month, meditate and pray over these verses, daily asking God for his mercy and grace in being more and more transformed into the likeness of Christ (Romans 8:29).
Here is what I have been doing for many years:
1. I read scripture daily and journal (using Evernote) on what stood out to me from what I read.
2. At the end of month, I review and pray over my daily journal entries.
3. I then pick a passage (one, or a few, verses) that most impacted me and which I sense God wants to use to grow me in some area.
4. This new/few verse(s) goes into a group of ten which I am currently thinking and praying over. I have the verse(s) on cards as well as on my computer and phone.
5. This new verse or passage will stay in the group of ten for ten months before it rotates out and a new one comes in.
This means that I am meditating on and praying over this passage for three hundred days.
You can immediately see what Holy Spirit power is tapped into by deeply embedding this verse(s) in my mind and heart to be used of the Lord to orchestrate change in my life.
For me, being consistent and faithful (by his grace and with his power) is the key. It was Charles Swindoll who said, “The problem with life is that it is so daily.” True! True!
Why not begin to build this new “Habit” into your life? I started by using the Topical Memory System from The Navigators and then built from there.
If you want to ask me specific questions about his wonderful “Habit” please email me: email@example.com