Effective leaders are life-long learners and life-long learners are life-long readers. By his grace I was able to ready/study/absorb & apply ideas from 35 books to my life in 2013.
I believe this happens because:
- I am committed to being a life-long learner/reader
- I set challenging but realistic goals in my reading
- I put reading into my schedule and protect it, so other things don’t trump that dedicated time
I read exclusive in electronic format & have done so for three or four years now. I read on my ipad ordering books from Amazon. I read mostly non-fiction in the areas of: Business, politics, church, sports and leadership.
Since several have asked, here are my top five reads from 2013 in order of the impact and usefulness they have been to me…personally and professionally.
- "The Talent Mandate" by Andrew Benett
- "Cracking Your Church's Culture Code" by Samuel Chand
- "The Catalyst Leader" by Brad Lomenick
- "Make Or Break Your Church in 365 Days" by Paul Borden
- "Conviction To Lead" by Albert Mohler
On this blog site, and under the tab “Book Notes,” you will find all five of these.
- Why not set a challenging but realistic goal for reading this year?
- Why not put reading time in your schedule as a commitment?
- Why not do your best to protect those times and not let things of lessor importance steal that precious investment in your leadership?
+ You will be a better leader for the purposes of God and for the glory of God!